Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Surprises

Warning: Talk of cycles and pee. Read at your own discretion.

It was the beginning of the new year and I had mentioned to Josh that I was late starting my cycle. At the same time I also told him I was pretty much refusing to take a pregnancy test. In the past four years I had been late many times and had taken several pregnancy tests, all of them coming out negative, and then almost always I would start my cycle the very next day. It was super frustrating, and though pregnancy tests are cheap I was always bitter about the wasted money.

A few days later I finally gave in. I bought the cheapest tests I could find and peed on a stick while I was home for lunch in between dog walks. The test came out inconclusive. It was the first time I had received anything other than a negative. Annoyed, I chalked it up to the cheap test. There was another stick in the box, but I was out of pee and had to get back to my walks.

The rest of the day was busy, and as a new years resolution I had set the goal to attend the temple with Josh monthly. That Wednesday (Jan 7th) happened to be the first night we were going with friends from the ward, and we didn't get home until late. While getting ready for bed I remembered the other stick and took the second pregnancy test. Positive. I remember just walking out of the bathroom and holding the stick out to Josh. He looked with confusion and asked me what it meant. "It came out positive." We both just stared at each other. I told him I didn't believe it. He said he didn't either, and suggested I take the second test from the kit. I then mentioned I had already taken the first one earlier that day, repeating my mistrust of the cheap tests. First inconclusive and then positive?! They had to be faulty.

We couldn't wait until morning to try again. Hurrying out in our pajamas we drove to Kroger to get a new kit. They were locked up and the pharmacist, who had gone home for the night, had the only key. On to Rite Aid. The lady was literally locking their doors as we got to them. Finally, after what seemed like we had gone a million different places (which we clearly had not) we picked up another (not cheap this time) pregnancy test. I still remember at check out the lady looked at us and asked, "Should I wish you good luck?" which Josh and I both laughed at. YES lady. Definitely yes.

Now, close to 11pm (that's super late for us oldies okay?) I peed on my third stick with the little pee that I had built back up during our hunt for tests.


You guessed it. Second positive. I don't know how either of us ever got to sleep that night.

We were still hesitant to believe it, not wanting to get our hopes up, but I remember sending a text to Josh at work the next morning with this picture and the caption, "I think I'm starting to believe."


No comments: