Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Halloween!

We decided to take a study break the other night & head out to purchase a bunch of junk. Our goals; buy a bunch of stuff for packages for Tyson and Adam (our brothers on missions in Spain & Finland respectively) (Both of their birthdays happen to be in October), and get some festive Halloween decorations for our house!

We came back with a bunch of junk & a candy bowl just like one that my parents have.


What else is new? Sydney and I have decided to drive home for Christmas. Yeah. Even after I swore I would never make that drive again. It will cost 1/4 of what it would to fly home, & we wouldn't be able to bring our little pup (he's just a little to big for carry-on). We'll probably fill the rest of our car with other equally poor students who want to visit home for Christmas. Should be exciting.


Currently in school we are studying Renal. It's been a very nice change from Microbiology which I found very difficult. Lots more conceptual stuff instead of rote memorization. Test is next Friday, so we'll see how I like Renal after that. Most of our classes from here on our are just 1 cumulative test for the whole course which is a little nerve racking.

Tonight Sydney and I are the transport wagon for the youth costume party/dance. I already feel like such an old fuddy duddy when that's pretty much the plan for our Saturday night.

Last night we watched a really weird movie. Knight and Day. Tom cruise & Cameron Diaz? Huh? It was actually pretty entertaining and luckily didn't try to take itself to seriously. Not a bad flick if you're really bored & not looking for something life changing.

Finally, I want to pose this question to those who read this blog (which probably isn't much more than my mother).

What do you guys think about making it legal to sell organs? Currently in the U.S., this is illegal. The reason why I ask the question is because I've recently learned a lot about Kidney Disease & dialysis and learned that Medicare pays for a lot of dialysis. In 2007, $8.6 billion costs were reported to Congress for dialysis & associated costs. Amazing considering that despite these high costs, about 10-15% of patients on dialysis die each year.

The alternative is a 4-5 year wait on an organ transplant list. There is a large shortage of organ donors. What are your thoughts on making compensation for donating a kidney legal?


1 comment:

The Christiansen's said...

Yes, this is your mother...your one dedicated fan. I kinda think that you should be able to sell your own kidney if you want to. I mean there are people who sell their extra breast milk. Ok, so that isn't the same, but what's yours is yours. Providing it isn't risking your own health...well i guess it is risky, but people risk their lives with unnecessary surgery every day, making their boobs bigger and their noses smaller, right? Well, now I have rambled enough and all who read this will now know where Josh gets his randomness and his smarts! ;) ha ha I so loved the video of Fizgig and the candy bowl. I wish ours still worked so we could try it out on Kirby.