Monday, October 25, 2010

Virginia HATES Pumpkins!

A little while ago, Sydney and I decided to get into the Halloween spirit and carve pumpkins and decorate our house all Halloween-like. It was great. If you see our previous blog post, you can see how wonderful our pumpkins turned out.

This is how our pumpkins looked 2 days after being outside.
The squirrels must be starving. 1 week later....
Virginia HATES pumpkins!

Also of exciting note, I Sydney and I destroyed the #1 team at bowling a few weeks ago. I bowled so well that I got my first bowling patches. I can't wait till Sydney and I get bowling shirts so I can sew on the patches. (1 patch is for a game over 225 (I bowled a 233), and the second patch is for a series over 600 (the total of all 3 games in one night, mine was 641).
Then just on Saturday, the 23rd, we had a youth temple trip to D.C. It was a lot of fun. The day started at 8:15am, when Sydney and I left our house to start picking people up, & we got back at 9:15pm. We had a lot of fun. Yusu and Eric from our YM came, along with my new counselor, a 3rd year med student Nat Mann.
This video is Yusu catching a grape in his mouth. We had a picnic with the YW at the little park areas just by the temple. Impressive catch huh?

After the temple, we decided to stay in D.C. for the day and visit the Zoo. It was great because it is free, but when we got there around 3:00pm, it was closing early for some "special event" at 4:30pm. We ran around and tried to see everything we could. We didn't end up leaving the zoo until 5:30pm. It was awesome.
A red panda of some sort.
Yusu and Sydney with the Komodo Dragon.

We ended the night with a delicious trip to A&W, where we ate our hearts out. Eric (a 15 year old boy who is 6'4" was randomly recruited by some guy at A&W to play basketball with some league. It was funny.) After A&W, Nat Mann wanted to visit one of his favorite restaurants, Checkers, while we were in Fredricksburg. So, we went for round 2 and had some more hamburgers. Eric had an entire 2nd combo meal. What a trip!

The week before for YM activity, we had a cooking night. Each boy chose something they wanted to learn to make & we helped them make it. Spaghetti, French Fries, Nachos (RoTel). It was a lot of fun. You can tell that the YM really like food. :)

Also, of excitement. We have learned we have mice in our rental house. What do you think?
Don't worry. In the last 4 days I've caught 6 mice. I know there are a few more, but they're tricky ones. I'll get them. One of the mice I caught only got his leg in the trap, so I had to take him out back. He became intimately acquainted with the heel of my shoe. That was disturbing.

Also, a few weeks ago, we received a present from our Sister Missionaries. It was very nice of them, but one of their little sticky things looks a little creepy. We love our Sister missionaries. :)
The door.
The "creepy" note. I feel like they're looking in on me showering or something.

All in all, Syd and I have had a fantastic October. Lots of busy stuff going on. Both Syd and I are perpetually sick this month. But, we're having lots of fun. Dog walking has been going great for Sydney. She has lots of clients and visits that keep her busy!

Hematology and Oncology are just as bad as everyone said. Blah! I've really been liking being in clinic though.












2 comments:

The Maughans said...

Youth Temple trips are the longest, and most fun, days ever. Our Temple is only 1 1/2 hours away, and we consistently get back WAY TOO late!
Tessa threw up in her mouth when she saw your pumpkins.

The Christiansen's said...

I love your post. Poor pumpkins, those rotten squirrels...maybe you should set them loose on the mice? Or maybe those useless Pappions could take care of them.
Is Fizgig scared of them?
After seeing those cool bowling patches I have an idea for Christmas! ha ha ha (evil laugh)