Saturday, December 10, 2011

My awesome wife is so crafty.

I'm home alone during my day off. Why? Because my wonderful wife is working hard organizing and orchestrating a Christmas treat fundraiser for the Young Women in our branch so that they can raise enough money for girl's camp. Below is a photo of some of the delicious treats they are preparing. Aren't you all jealous you're not in Richmond to help support them?
Their focus was to try and make things that would be easy for the girls to do, but not easy for them to screw up. Hopefully they have succeeded!

Last year when I was in charge of finding a way to help the Young Men earn money for camp, I thought of (what I thought was) a great idea. We would teach the YM how to change the oil on a car, and then we could have a Saturday where we change oil for members of the branch for our fundraiser. In theory this was a great idea. (our profit per oil change was almost $25 after costs. Each boy only needed to find 3-4 people who would let them change their oil) In practice, it was terrible. Not many people signed up. Some signed up and didn't come. It was DIFFICULT! So, I learned a lesson. When people are offered the option to help donate to a good cause, they don't want something practical. They don't want a useful service. They don't want to get something that they actually might be spending money on anyways. They want caramel apples or Christmas candy, and they are willing to pay ridiculous prices for it. They want frivolous items with little value. It must make them feel like they gave more. Lesson learned.

This is the entryway that I came home to last night. Looks pretty good huh? My wife is so festive. I have not been involved in Christmas yet...well...I take that back. I was "volunteered" to be a part of Christmas at our branch Christmas party last night. My wife has decorated our house all awesome. The christmas balls spell "Merry Christmas." At least I helped make the blue snowflake ones.

Last Sunday, our downstairs neighbors, Jian and Andrea Pierotti, decided to bake pizzas and bread for dinner in a ceramic kiln that Jian made. It was pretty much the best pizza I've ever eaten in my life, seriously. I am no photographer, so I apologize for the photo quality, but I had to document the coolness that is baking your own pizzas in your backyard homemade wood-burning kiln.
Sydney and Fiz had fun.

And then we come to the obligate Fizgig pictures. Yes....we have 1 million of them.

Also of note, my wife's newest obsession....Owls.

Today I'm down one moped. I sold the orange checkered one that was previously featured on this blog. It was just taking too much time to finish, and when my surgery rotation started, my free time greatly diminished. Oh well. I still have 2 more mopeds and a motorcycle project to finish. :( I told the guy who came and bought the moped that I'm "addicted to projects." It's a disease. The first step is acknowledging it.

I have 1 more week of plastic surgery, and then it's home for 2 weeks for Christmas break. I'm so excited to come back to Utah. It's been 1 whole year. Amazing to think that I've only been back to Utah 2 times in the past 2 years. We're hoping to spend some more time there next year.

No comments: