Monday, January 17, 2011

The First Richmond Branch Basketball Team!

With all the growth we've been having in the branch, we have enough boys this year to form our own YM basketball team. It has been so much fun, and we have been having practice with the boys every week on Thursday nights. They've been working hard and played awesome this Saturday. We picked up our first win of the season against Mechanicsville in a nail-biting 32-30 victory.
Eric just dominated down low.
Notice how Nat is about a foot and half taller than me.
Sydney and I hand-painted the boys jerseys. We let them put a nickname on the back. Malik IS BIG MAC!
Raul chose OOLIE BEAR. You'll just have to ask him.
Elijah on a fast break. Tay is open!
Raul had some tough calls and fouled out halfway through the 4th quarter.
Naturally, Eric is Big E!
Yusu is Y.B.I. (His initials).
So grateful for all the help my counselors have given me. The boys love coming to basketball and really appreciate it. It's been an incredible tool in helping re-activate some of our less active boys.

Driving home from a Stake Standards night activity last night, we were talking in the car about how our team needs a mascot. They boys suggested we be the Lakers which I quickly nixed. After some discussion, Yusu suggested that we should be the Richmond Kaniya's, after Kaniya (a young woman in the branch) because she's always so funny. I was laughing so hard. Something to consider. The Kaniya's would be a force to be reckoned with.

I love these guys. Hopefully we'll have many more wins to come.

3 comments:

The Maughans said...

Love it! Eric looks like he's dominating you in that one picture.

JDizzle said...

Josh, that's awesome you're a coach, you'd be great at that! That'd be fun to watch you guys. Brings me back to our ol church ball days.

The Christiansen's said...

Way to go guys! I love the pictures of the game. How about the "River Rats" since you all love that river so much?