Monday, January 10, 2011

Our first year in Richmond!


I promised a "highlights of 2010" post, so here it is! If you've been following our blog, these won't be too surprising for you. There's only so much exciting stuff to write about in our life.

- January -
Sydney and I took the plunge and decided to buy our first set of furniture together. We shopped for awhile and found some that we really liked. With the help of a homeless man, we got them up to our 3rd floor apartment in exchange for a few hamburgers at Carl's Jr.
Don't worry. These couches only lasted about 2 months before we decided to sell them on craigslist (for what we paid for them), and pick up some more interesting pieces like our current green couch.
- February -
We bought a motorcycle, since I sold my other bike before we moved to Richmond. I was trying to use this fact as leverage with Sydney, but she was all for us getting another bike.
- March -
During Spring Break, Sydney's parent's came and visited us. We went all over the place and had a very nice break from school.
- April -
We left our 1-bedroom downtown apartment for a 3-bedroom house we rent about 3 miles outside of downtown Richmond. We also got the cutest puppy in the world (Fizgig)!

He continues to sleep in this position.
- May -
I finished my first year of Medical School and was so ready for a nice long summer break. I did some pig research, and Sydney walked dogs. We really just took some time to take it easy.
Hard at work waiting for the pig to live or die. At least I didn't look like this, no offense Dane!
- June -
Sydney's brother Scott came and visited us. It was a lot of fun. Hooray for summer!
- July-
It was a packed month. My parents and Katelyn came and visited us. We went up to New York, D.C., Virginia Beach, and all the usual Richmond sites. Then Sydney and I got to go to Youth Conference in Palmyra. That was a lot of fun. My 2 young men who came (Raul & Eric) had just been baptized that year.
- August -
School actually started July 26th, but I'm including it in August. Also, Sydney and I participated in the Ride for Jim bike ride and rode from Richmond to Yorktown for Cancer Research fundraising. It was lots of fun, and we plan on doing it again this year.
- September -
Sydney spent the last year walking dogs for Kat French and River City Rover, but Kat was going to be closing the business, so Sydney started her own. She's pretty awesome isn't she?
- October -
The only thing I can remember from October is the Branch Halloween party where my young men made a spook alley/maze that rivaled the best ones I've ever been too. We should charge tickets for next year.

- November -
An awesome Thanksgiving, sleeping in the back of our Volvo down in Florida! We swam with dolphins, sat at the beach, saw awesome stuff at SeaWorld, and ate some good food. What more could you ask for?

- December -
We went home to Utah for Christmas. I became 1 & 1/2 a Doctor.


I ran out of gas there at the end for finding pictures. Just look at our latest posts. I know...I'm lazy. 2010 was a good year. I'm very grateful for all the blessings that Sydney and I get. We live a wonderful life and we are so thankful for it.
I'm nervous for what 2011 has in store. There is an ominous date looming in the future (June 24) where I will be tested to see if I've remembered everything I've ever been taught while here in medical school (not to mention things I most likely have never been taught). I love my calling with the young men. Our next post will be about our basketball team. Those boys are great! Sydney is still working with the chillins in the primary, and they love her to death!

Well, that's all. Cardio is calling me. I will leave you with one question. Is it ECG or EKG?

2 comments:

Melyn said...

I love reading your guys post :) Oh, and its ECG here in the states, EKG in Germany. (electroKardiogram)

Sydney and Josh said...

Our professor teaching 3 hours of Electrocardiography only ever said "EKG," despite ECG and EKG both being written on her slides. It's like she read ECG as EKG. I understand where EKG comes from (German; EleKtroKardiogramm). That sill doesn't make any sense, since the guy who first started doing them was Dutch.
So far, I'm seeing that most doctors and students say "EKG." Who know's why?